Check out these 3d printing manufacturing companies images:
WE – Historical Bristol Street Directory 1871
Image by brizzle born and bred
Mathews’ Bristol Street Directory 1871
Weare’s Buildings, York Road, Bedminster
Weare’s Gardens, Newfoundland Lane
Weare Street, Bath Road to St Luke’s Road
Mrs Crook, shopkeeper
George Osborne, grocer, etc
Mary Ann Cole, ginger beer manufacturer
William Osborne, boot maker
St. Luke’s National School In 1898 for boys, girls and infants. Also noted that there was a Binding and Printing Nursery in connection with it. Demolished 1972. Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: Mr Shears (Master), Mrs Corke and Miss F Johnson (Mistresses) 1885 Mr Tempest (Master), Miss F Johnson and Miss F Morse (Mistresses) 1898
Notes: In January 1886 George Furse, a boy who had been engaged to clean the school, was charged at Bristol Police Court with stealing 10s 6d from the drawer of Mr John Shears, the schoolmaster. Mr Shears stated that he had been a very good boy at the school and asked the court to deal leniently with him. He was sentenced to 10 strokes of the birch.
Edwin Beard, shopkeeper
White and Emery, stone masons
Chappell and Humphreys, stay & underclothing manufacturers
Samuel Hitchings, grocer, etc
George Wyatt – A stoker at Finzel’s Counterslip Works, living at 33 Weare Street, Bath Road in February 1876. He was turning a gauge tap on a boiler when the tap broke and the steam rushed out on him and Joseph Chaplin aged 49 of 1 Catherine Street, St Philips. George was discharged as the injury was not so severe but Joseph was kept in hospital.
Thomas Edwin Iles, vict, British Queen 1871. Thomas Iles / 1872 – 92. Jane Elson / 1896. Sidney Doves / 1899. Mrs Bingham / 1901. S. E. Winter / 1904 – 06. James Ley 1914. William Avery / 1921. Bessie Partridge / 1925 – 28. Charles Tranter.
Charles Iles, vict, New Inn On the corner with Weare Street, the New Inn was pulled down to make way for the second Bath Bridge which opened in 1960. bristolslostpubs.eu/page101.html
Weaver’s Court, 169, Temple Street
Webb Street, off Pennywell Road
William Fear, superintendent of trades
Charles Fewings, clicker, etc (boot trade)
John Thomas Hallam, clerk of St. Thomas church
Eyre Alston, insurance agent
Webber’s Court, Thatched House Lane, St Augustine’s
Webber’s Place, All Saints’ Street
Wellesley Place, top of Whiteladies Road
Wellesley Street, Lawrence Hill
George Cockram, beer seller (Off Licence)
James Pope, stationer and news agent
John Ayre, coach painter
Jonathan W. Brown, vict, Little Black Horse No.15 Wellesley Street, the Little Black Horse and Wellesley Street were removed in the early 1960’s to make way for the Lawrence Hill roundabout and a block of flats. bristolslostpubs.eu/page240.html
Alfred Crinks, vict, Wellesley Arms On the corner with Wellesley Street, the Wellesley Arms was demolished in the early 1960’s to make way for the Lawrence Hill roundabout. The street and the pub were named after Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington. bristolslostpubs.eu/page189.html
Wellesley Villas, Pembroke Road, near All Saint’s Church
Wellington Buildings, Redcross Street
Wellington Court, Redcross Street
Wellington Court, Wellington Street, Cathay
Wellington Lane, Picton Street
Wellington Park, top of Whiteladies Road
Frederick Thomas Bolt
Mrs Holloway, lodging house
?. Fowler, carpenter and builder
Theophilus Maryon, Windsor villa
?. Trenerry, Tredegar villa
Mrs Cox, St. John’s villa
Edward Stock, Rocklyn villa
Mrs Mills, Bute villa
Joseph Batley, Airedale villa
Mrs Chappell, Osborne villa
Mrs Mary A. Reed, Wellington villa
Mrs Elizabeth Warden, Newbould cottage
William Lane, Park villa
Mrs S. Lovell, Mornington villa
Russell A. Snell, Apsley villa
Mrs Bethell, Hylton villa
John L. Carige
Henry Johns, com-trav
Edward G. Bompas, Walton villa
Henry Howell, Walmer villa
J. L. Daniel, Newton villa
Mrs F. Jones
Capt. Cherry, Cornhill villa
William Davis, Brampton villa
Dr Franks, Kensington villa
Mrs E. Roberts, Hallswell villa
Henry Webb, Wellesley villa
James Stephanoff, Anglesea villa
Richard D. Robjent, Stuart villa
Thomas W. Gibbs, Stuart villa
William Taylor, Llanfoist villa
Rev. Thomas Allen, Ellingham villa
John H. Smith, Leigh villa
John T. Jackson Clyde villa
Edward Jeffery, Merton villa
?. Haughton villa
Mrs Q. H. Stroud
Wellington Place, Royal York Crescent to Prince’s Place
James Howe, fruiterer
John Rawle, boot maker
Joseph Warren, butcher
Charles Manning, fruiterer
Jonathan Cruse, grocer, etc
Miss Sowden, milliner
Stephen Hart, grocer and tea dealer
William E. Brown, lodging house
Battle and Woodman, haberdasher’s
Miss Penny, dress and stay maker
Mrs White, invalid nurse
Stephen Jackson, plumber
Mrs Wickwick, haberdasher
Mrs Ann Lock, dairyman
?. Herbert, boot and shoe maker
Richard Mann, carver and gilder
Richard W. Moore, grocer and tea dealer
William Haines, vict, Wellington Arms 1871 – 72. William Haines / 1874 – 79. George Hawkins / 1882 – 87. Miss P. Stanbury / 1889. William Hulbert / 1891. Priscilla Hulbert 1892 – 94. Hannah Nelson / 1899 – 1904. Jemima Ann Pople.
Edmund P. G. Rudman, vict, Portcullis 1826 – 28. John Evans / 1830 – 32. Isaac Knight / 1833 – 42. John Manning / 1844 – 48. Jane Manning / 1849 – 72. Edmund Rudman 1875 – 77. J. Vincent / 1878. Mrs. Vincent / 1879. George Sanders / 1882 – 83. James Barefoot / 1885 – 86. William Pester 1887 – 92. Walter Sheppard / 1894. John Rugman / 1896. James Alvis / 1897 Clement Emery / 1899. Jeffrey Alcock 1901 – 04. G. Fear / 1906. J. Williams / 1909. James Bridge / 1914. Stephen Downer / 1917. Emma Tichbon / 1921. Frederick Sweeting 1925 – 38. George Pearce / 1941 to 1949. Charlotte Elizabeth Williams / 1950 – 53. Herbert Caine / 1975. G. Hance.
Thomas Vareoe, vict, Gaping Goose bristolslostpubs.eu/page328.html
Miss Hooper’s School for Young Ladies, 6 Wellington Place. Day and boarding school listed 1861.
New Grammar School, Wellington House, Wellington Place, Clifton. An 1855 newspaper advertisment stated, The quality of the instruction of this school, so successful since its foundation, is equal to that of the highest institutions in the country combining whatever is choicest in the systems of each and ensuring a sound, moral and religious (without bigotry) as well as classical, mathematical and commercial education. Four boarders are admitted at 50 guineas per annum each. Notes: Principal – Rev J Mackintosh BA and Exhibitioner of St John’s College, Cambridge and Senior Optim on the Mathematical Tripos 1847.
Miss Vaughan’s School for Young Ladies, 7, Wellington Place. Day and Boarding school listed 1861-72.
Wellington Place, Ashley Road
Wellington Place, St. George Street, (Without)
Wellington Place, Easton Road
Charles Read Albion Wellington Place, Easton Road. 1871. Charles Read / 1872 to 1876. G. H. Cunningham / 1877 to 1882. Charles Read / 1883 – 87. Elizabeth Gazzard 1889 – 93. John Biggin / 1896 – 1901. Emma Joslin / 1904. A. Dimmock / 1909 – 13. Florence Summerhayes 1913 – 17. Ada Amelia Peacock / 1921 – 53. Ada Amelia Rodbourn.
Wellington Place, Beckett’s Fields, St Paul’s
Misses Armstrong’s Boarding School for Young Ladies, Wellington Place, Stokes Croft. Listed 1847.
Mrs Baker’s School for Ladies, 4 Wellington Place, Stokes Croft. Mrs Baker gave the establishment her ‘strict personal attention’ according to newspaper notice of 1830 which stated that teaching was ‘conducted on a plan approved by men of learning which renders abstruse studies comprehensible and entertaining’.
Wellington Road, Frome Bridge
Edwin Cornish Densham, grocer
Eliza Lewis, beer retailer
Issac Cuff, vict, Holly Branch Tavern Wellington Street, St Pauls. Originally named the Holly Branch Tavern, the Bay Horse was on the corner of Wellington Road and Elton Street. bristolslostpubs.eu/page243.html
Notes: The premises were offered for sale on March 1st 1883 but did not realise a sufficient price and were bought on behalf of the vendor. At Bristol Police Court Felix Capstick was charged with selling beer during prohibited hours on 16th April 1882. He was fined 40s and costs and had his licence endorsed.
Wellington Street, All Saints’ Street
Wellington Street, Cathay, Somerset Street
James Lemon, blanking manufacturing
George Aldridge, grocer, etc
Rebecca Aldridge, chapel keeper
Edward Hucker, tailor, etc
Frederick Sprigg’s, shopkeeper
Ann Barter, grocer, etc
John Rider, brass caster
Wellington Street, Easton Road
Wellington Terrace, Coronation Road, near Charlotte Street
Mrs Anderson’s School for Ladies, 7, Wellington Terrace, Coronation Road. Boarding School 1832.
Wellington Terrace, Wellington Street, St Philip’s
Wellington Terrace, Royal York Crescent, Clifton
Wells Road, Totterdown
(Left side from Three Lamps)
Capt. George Erwin, Wells house
Thomas Baker, Bath house
1. William Wise
2. John Batey
3. William George Metcalfe
4. Charles J. Everdell, accountant
5. Mrs Palmer
6. Joseph Boyd
7. John Rider
8. J. C. Baker
9. Samuel Parker, engineer
10. Alfred Thayer
11. Mrs Bascombe
12. Thomas Skaith
13. Francis Fielden
14. Charles Lucas, tailor
15. Ann Hines
16. Miss E M Nettleship’s School for Young Ladies, Guildford House, Totterdown Terrace, Wells Road. Boarding and Day School advertised 1872.
Rev. G. Nettleship
17. Thomas Thomas, engineer
18. Thomas Henry Crofts, picture frame manufacturer
(New Wells Road Intersect)
Henry Byrt, cooper
John Barry, Albany villa
1. Richard Parish, Prince Hotel 1869. E. Parish / 1871 – 85. Richard Parish / 1888. Richard Westlake / 1893. Edward Hyatt / 1896 – 1914. Edwin Tyack 1917. Amy Barrett / 1921. Gertrude Holmes / 1925 – 35. Henry Neil.
2. William Horlick, baker & confectioner
3. William Henry Phillips, stationer
4. William Cloutman, surveyor
5. Miss S. Frappell, Totterdown dairy
6. Alfred Stallard, draper
7. John Leonard, butcher,
Robert Ashby Cunning, Totterdown Hotel 1871 – 77. Robert Gunning / 1878 – 88. Alfred Butcher / 1896. B. Hall / 1897. Joseph Toms / 1899 – 1904. Thomas Curtis 1909. Mrs. E. Bailey / 1914 – 21. Mortimer Rowlinson / 1928 – 31. Walter Vowles / 1935. Frank Baker / 1937 – 40. Reginald Smith 1940. C. L. Day / 1944 – 53. Daniel Lyons.
6. Charles Hinchley
7. Thomas Robert Vaughan, clerk
Weymouth’s commercial school
8. John Daniel Pritchard
4. Alfred James Gibson Pickett
5. James Lewis
9. Charles Hancock
William Prout Tucker
(Firfield Street Intersect)
White & Carr, surgeons, Placerville villa
Henry Anstee, Fornia villa
James George Haskins, Minto villa
Mrs Knight, Coloma villa
Alfred Barber, Cisco villa
Samuel Parker, Hapsburg house
Josiah Thomas, Dinas house
Mrs S. Morgan, Livingstone villa
Miss Williams’ School, Palmerston Villa, Totterdown In January 1869 Miss Williams advertised that she was formerly of the Manor House, Beckington.
Robert Alfred Young, Highfield villa
James Worswick, Firfield villa
Church Of The Holy Nativity Holy Nativity was formed in 1865 as a district out of the parish of St.John Bedminster (O in C. 22 May 1883). The wooden chapel used in 1865 was replaced by a permanent church begun in 1870. This church was destroyed in an enemy air raid on 24 November 1940. The rebuilt church was consecrated in January 1958. www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/10764670826/
William Field, Alma villa
Robert Forbes, corn merchant. Rodney villa
Robert Clarke, Elm villa
Charles Sleep, Somerset villa
George Scrase, Raglan villa
James Sleep, Highgrove cottage
William Sleep, Grove end villa
Alfred Shipley, Highgrove villa
Totterdown Union Chapel Francis Ward Monck (1835-1896?) By the late 1860s, 1868 or so, As head of the Totterdown Union congregation, Monck had transferred to a small (17 member) chapel in Totterdown, near Bristol, which met in a then-famous "iron chapel."
(Right side from Three Lamps)
John Wigham, Gothic cottage (see miscellaneous below)
Thomas James Scoones, civil engineer, Knowle cottage
William Owen, professor of music, Alpha cottage
Joseph Jenkins, butcher
John W. Down vict, Raglan 1871. John Down / 1872. John Knowles / 1874. William Iles / 1875. P. Davison / 1878. George Harris / 1882 – 87. Charles Martin 1888 to 1891. Donald McKay Barry / 1892. David Yorath / 1896. Daniel Yorath / 1899 – 1901. E. Hare / 1904 – 21. William Boughtwood 1925 – 44. Ernest May / 1950 – 53. Douglas Drake.
William Purnell, grocer, and earthenware dealer
Mrs Charles Harris, milliner, etc, Denmark house
( Hampton Terrace)
Edwin Hill, auctioneer
Charles Alfred Ancrum
Miss Emma Evans
Charles Dickens Mivart
Mrs S. Bond, milliner
Mrs Weston, ladies’ day school
John Hamblett, builder
John J. Gibson
Capt. Robert Davey, Hampton house
Thomas Ball, vict, Bell Inn No.65 Wells Road next door to the Co-op, (chemist & druggist branch) the Bell was demolished during the wholesale clearances of the early 1970’s. bristolslostpubs.eu/page239.html
H. La Trobe, chemist, Richmond house
E. Fear, wholesale spirit merchant
John Vick, draper, Manchester house
Henry Montgomery Grimes, bootmaker, Montgomery house
Gordon & Clarke, tobacconists, etc
Edward Sale, provision merchant, China tea house
Albert B. Stone, draper, etc
The Misses Wren, milliners and dressmakers
Thomas Hale, vict, Phoenix On the corner with Bush Street, the Phoenix was lost in 1972 when a large area of Totterdown was demolished for a new road scheme which never materialised. bristolslostpubs.eu/page104.html
Hester Weeks, vict, Bush Hotel 1865 – 75. Isaac Weeks / 1876 – 83. Hester Weeks / 1885 – 86. Thomas Pace / 1888. John Maggs / 1892 – 96. Richard Sowden 1897 – 99. Charles Webb / 1901 – 04. R. Iles / 1909 – 14. George Jackson / 1917. James Savage / 1921. Fredeerick Deeming 1925. Charles Crawford / 1928 – 31. John Donnelly / 1935. Gilbert Sheppard / 1937 – 38. Ernest Vowles / 1944 – 53. William Hasell.
Jasper Miller, shopkeeper, Bushy cottage
William Edwin Pearce
William E. Symes, fly proprietor
Henry Morse, sergeant of county police
William E. Parry
William West, plumber, etc
John J. Bissicks
William Dodds, engineer
The Misses Metcalfe, ladies’ boarding school, Winford villa. (see below)
Frederick C. Wein, Hope villa
Samuel Frederick Anerum, Brockley villa
Other Schools for Totterdown, not listed
Mrs F Cole’s School for Young Ladies, Glenside, Knowle Road, Totterdown. 1898.
Miss Dibble’s School for Young Ladies, Oxford Street, Totterdown. Day and Boarding school listed 1872.
Mrs Hall’s School for Young Ladies, 7 Cambridge Terrace, Totterdown. Boarding school listed 1872.
Knowle Board School. In 1884 the son of a brass finisher living at Totterdown (name not given) was expelled from the school because for the 6 years he had attended previously his father had paid 3d a week and suddenly the Board required 4d a week (because he was classed as a mechanic and not a labourer) and he objected. At an interview the man said that he only objected because other people who lived in the same street who were also mechanics paid only 3d.
Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: C Edwards (Master), Miss Crumpler, Miss Bennett, Miss Bale and Miss Britton (Mistresses) 1898
Miss E M Nettleship’s School for Young Ladies, Guildford House, Totterdown Terrace, Wells Road. Boarding and Day School advertised 1872.
William Ward’s School for Young Gentlemen, 2 Bush Street,, Totterdown. Boarding and Day school listed 1872.
W. A. Waymouth’s Classical and Commercial School, 5-7, Highgrove Place, Totterdown.
Misses Wright’s School for Young Ladies, Somerset House, Totterdown. Boarding school listed 1861-72. Day and boarding in earlier years. The same school later run by Miss Metcalf (1898).
William Biggs – During the great storm at the end of April 1882 30 feet of his wall in Chapel Street was blown down. He was a mason living at Henry Villa, Sydenham Road, Totterdown.
Dame Clara Butt 1873-1936 – Lived in Bristol from 1880 at 3 Belle Vue, Totterdown, until 1887 when she won a scholarship at the Royal College of Music, London. Married Kennerley Rumford in 1900 at Bristol Cathedral and often sang at the Colston Hall.
Edward Hooper – Aged 4 years, address given as 51 Grafton Street, St Philip’s Marsh, fell into the water by Totterdown Lock. His body was retrieved by Edwin Baker of 2 Hillgrove Buildings.
Melvin Parker – An American sailor, charged at Bristol Police Court with shooting John Mayo of Totterdown, a railway official at Bristol Joint Station in June 1886. While Mayo was examining the tickets he noticed that Parker had a gun and asked him if he took the gun to sea. Parker replied ‘yes’. Mayo then rather unwisely asked what they shot at while at sea and the sailor said ‘I’ll show you’, drew the gun and shot at Mayo, hitting him in the arm. A fellow sailor said that they had been paid off and Parker had been drinking, but wasn’t drunk. Parker said nothing in his defence court and was sent for trial.
Frederick Shaddock – He was 19 years old and lived at Totterdown in January 1872. He was blasting rock on Durdham Down when a stone struck him on the head, fracturing his skull. He was taken to Bristol Infirmary where a trepanning operation was performed.
J. Wigham – Foreman of the Bristol and Exeter Loco Works, lived at Gothic Cottage, Totterdown. In January 1867 he was proceeding from his house to the works when he slipped on the heavy frost and broke his arm.
Wells Street, Culver Street, Frogmore Street
Mrs Davis, dressmaker
John Dwyer, tailor
Michael Slader, accountant
John Walker, Wells cottage
St Augustine’s National School In 1861 known as St Augustine’s Charity School for educating about 90 girls and 60 boys. In 1898 146 boys, 166 girls and 125 infants. Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: Miss Todd (Governess) + Mr Bird (Master) 1861 Mr Dunn (Master), Miss Newton (Mistress), Miss Hodges (Infants’ Mistress) 1898. Notes: In the Christmas 1860 examiantions Sophia Quance received a 2nd Class Queeen’s Scholarship.
Henry Wyneman, master
Wells Street (Upper) Frogmore Street
John C. Sanders
Ann Cole, dressmaker
Ellen Fitzgerald – In 1901 she was a widow aged 31, owning a greengrocer’s shop at 40, Frogmore Street. Bristol-born, She had a son, David aged 5 and there were 3 lodgers in the household, 2 furniture makers (Stephenoff Dubbridge and Jacob Morrosik from Poland) and a sailor ( Alexandr Prichard from Bath).
Henry Hallard – An unfortunate lad aged 14 in July 1864 when he sustained a fractured leg from being ‘knocked down by a lady’s crinoline’ in Frogmore Street.
Matilda Williams – Lived at 10, Frogmore Street. Charged and fined in July 1878 for not sending her child to school.
William Winscombe – In 1832 was a ship’s joiner at 11, Frogmore Street.
Wells Terrace, Wells Road
Welsh Back, Bristol Bridge to Grove
William Herniman & Co. fishmongers and fruiterers
J. Bartlett & Sons, scale makers
James T. Curtis, salt and scouring-brick merchant
William Terrell & Sons, rope makers & hemp importers www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/5357055771/
William. Pugsley, potato & fish salesman
Benjamin A. Wood, tobacconist
Tanner, Hunt, & Co. leather merchants
Thomas A. B. Broughton, salt, corn, provision merchant
H. Stewart, vict, Cardiff Boat 1800 Priscilla Edmunds / 1816 Ann Edmunds / 1820 James Smith / 1823 – 34 James S. Weeks / 1839 – 40 William Frost 1841 – 42 Jeremiah Reay / 1844 H. Williams / 1847 John Waters / 1848 – 49 James Lansdown / 1851 – 53 Joseph Lansdown 1854 A. Marshall / 1856 – 57 George Bryant / 1861 David Stockholm / 1863 – 69 John Counsell / 1871 – 72 Henry Stewart 1874 Edwin Hurcum / 1875 to 1878 James Steers / 1879 Robert Gaves / 1881 – 88 Eliza Gaves / 1891 Lawrence Wright 1892 Sarah Webber / 1896 Arthur Richards / 1897 – 99 Maud Louie Shutler.
Notes: Eliza Gaves’ son Robert Greenland Gaves was charged at Bristol Police Court in April 1882 with breaking into the warehouse of Messrs Franklin, Morgan and Davey, tobacco manufacturers which adjoined the Cardiff Boat.
In July 1886 Emily Greenland Gaves was staying with her mother at the pub when she found that some of her jewellery was missing. The items were found to have been pawned by a young woman called Mercy Trimblin who had been arrested and tried for another case of theft and who had 14 pawn tickets in her possession. She said her husband had given her all the items which she had pawned.
Franklyn, Davey, & Morgan, tobacco and snuff manufacturers. The Franklyn Davey & Co, one of the smaller Bristol tobacco companies taken over by Imperial Tobacco Company in 1901.
Cole Brothers, provision merchants
Henry Humphries & Co. corn and provision merchants
Isaac Haynes, agent to steamers
Tanner Brothers, wholesale stationers, account-book makers, & printers
F. Hiscocks, vict, Golden Bottle Near the corner with Crow Lane, the Golden Bottle was lost in the blitz of 1941. bristolslostpubs.eu/page35.html
Notes: James Hiscocks’ name also spelt James Hiscox. In March 1858 John Bear was charged at Bristol Police Court with stealing 5/-, a pocket knife and a seaman’s discharge from David Ash, a sailor in the pub. They had been drinking together and Ash had fallen asleep, to find the items missing when he awoke. In January 1884 an Elizabeth Batten who had been a servant there was charged at Bristol Police Court with stealing wearing apparel and a gold ring from a lodger there named Harry Payne. Mrs Bowden kept the premises and said Elizabeth had gone out one evening and had never returned and obviously had then taken the items to a pawnbroker. Mr Bowden obviously had problems with his servants that year as in April 1884 Emily Trotman was charged at Bristol Police Court for stealing 4 cigars and 3 half ounces of tobacco from the premises. Mrs Bowden had missed a ring and went through Emily’s pockets and found the items.
James Cumberpatch, dining rooms
Robert and Henry Adams, corn merchants
Hudden, Ditchett, and Hudden, tobacco & snuff manufacturers
Fox & Co. bookbinders
Matthew Hale, vict, Cross Keys 1775 John Jones / 1792 George Davis / 1794 Margaret Davis / 1800 Ann Bevan / 1806 George Long / 1816 John Scholler 1820 – 44 James Smith / 1848 – 49 C. I. Collins / 1851 – 56 Evan David / 1857 James Boswell / 1858 to 1859 Andrew Murray 1860 M. Seymour / 1861 Samuel Longman / 1861 to 1868 James Willcox / 1869 to 1876 Matthew Hale / 1877 to 1878 Jane Hale 1879 to 1882 Edwin Holloway / 1883 Henry Hale / 1885 – 86 James Rhymer / 1887 Edward Cranfield / 1888 Louisa Llewellyn Mathias 1889 John Smith / 1891 – 99 Henry Hughes / 1901 – 06 Annie James / 1909 Scott Trout.
George and A. Edwards, outfitters
Robert Crocker, shopkeeper
Wiltshire Sack Company
Wait and James, corn and general merchants
William Terrell & Sons (see above)
Alexander Halcomb & Co. sack merchant
Mary S. Stephens, timber, bark, and hoop merchant
W. L. Davey, shipping agent
John Tutton, potato and fruit merchant
Henry C. Quinton, timber, bark, and hoop merchant
Gopsill Brown & Co. sack contractors
Mary Luff, timber, bark, and hoop merchant
W. K. Harris, customs & forwarding agent
William Stafford, block & mast maker
Alfred Mitchell, copper smith
Grace Brothers, corn & flour factors
Samuel Breach, beer retailer
Stoate, Hosegood, & Co. corn & flour merchants
City Weighing Machine
Thomas & Son, wharfingers and packet agents
William Granger, cooper
Garrard and Bartram, wine and spirit merchants
Francis Quartley, vict, White Hart 1752 – 62 Walter Morgan / 1775 Thomas Nicholas / 1800 – 16 William Williams / 1822 – 31 Thomas Williams / 1832 – 34 John Thomas 1837 Elizabeth Thomas / 1839 – 40 Thomas Workington / 1842 ? Westcott / 1843 William Hart / 1844 W. Scull / 1847 – 48 John Smith 1850 Joseph Bartan / 1851 Bethel Kitson / 1851 to 1859 Jacob Demery / 1860 William Dunning / 1863 Jacob Demery 1865 – 66 Sarah Clibbens / 1867 Caroline Mary Tilling / 1868 – 69 Edmund Frayley / 1871 – 75 James Goulding 1876 to 1877 Francis Quartley / 1878 F. Payne / 1879 to 1880 George Tailor / 1881 to 1885 Edward Barter / 1886 Alfred Tuck 1887 to 1888 Emily Greenland Gaves / 1889 – 1901 Eliza Gaves / 1904 – 06 George Gammie / 1909 Clara Dursley 1914 – 17 Luke Dursley / 1921 Frederick Leigh / 1925 George Blyth / 1928 Frederick Leigh / 1931 Grace Jameson 1935 – 37 Ernest Barton. (William Williams also worked as an accountant in King Street Hall).
F. Graffunder, vict, Millwright’s Arms 1853 Elizabeth Bull / 1853 – 57 William Bush / 1861 Elizabeth Graves / 1863 – 67 Mrs. E. Bull / 1868 – 69 E. Grimes / 1871 F. Graffunder 1872 – 77 W. Underhill.
Clement Rees, vict, Bell Back 1755 – 62 John Williams / 1775 Mary Williams / 1792 Thomas Skenfield / 1800 Mary Reynolds / 1806 John Pugh / 1816 John Cook 1820 – 30 James Rossiter / 1831 – 32 John Reed / 1834 Henry Amos Smart / 1837 – 55 John Reed / 1856 to 1859 George Benden 1860 J. Rees / 1861 – 83 Clement Rees / 1885 – 88 Hannah Pitfield Nelson / 1889 Louisa Augusta Flower / 1891 – 1914 William Craig 1917 Mary Ann Boulton / 1921 Thomas Ross / 1925 Edward Leigh / 1928 Samuel Large / 1931 Emma Neal.
In May 1883 it was to be let ‘with brewhouse and shop adjoining’ by W Lyne Fear & Co, wine merchants of 88, Redcliff Street. Welsh Back was blitzed during the Second World War. Notes: In January 1843 a chest of tea belonging to Mr Reed and stored in the warehouse of the Hercules Steam Packet Company was stolen from the warehouse by ‘a person secreted on the premises’.
Notes: On 14th April 1809 James Clarke a gardener from Neath fell over the Quay wall on his way to Welsh Back. After his rescue by two Private Evanses (brothers) of the Monmouth and Brecon Militia he was conveyed to the inn where he was taken in by John Pugh who ‘not only received him in the house but exerted himself in the most laudable manner’ until Clarke was restored.
Wentworth Road, Bishopston
John Williams, Oak cottage
Richard Williams, Richmond cottage
West Clifton Terrace, 54, Whiteladies Road
William Pugh, painter
Mrs E. Langdon
Miss Charlotte Jakeway
Mrs Caroline Tilley
Edmund Gwyer & Son, African merchants
Mrs Elizabeth Racker
Henry F. Buckland
West Grove, Brook Road, Ashley Road
Thomas Morgan Carter
Capt. William Howe
John Austin Rood
Joseph D. Bateman
Joseph Martin Smith
William Dunn, mason
West Grove, Cotham Road
West Mall, the Mall, Clifton
West Park, Whiteladies Road to Cotham Road
Mrs Tiley, Stanley villa
Mrs Wakefield, Fairfield villa
Albert Maine, R.A.M. professor of music, Park cottage
Henry R. Fargus, West park
Col. Thomasine Lardy, West Clifton house
John J. Mogg
John D. Weston, Woodland house
Mrs E. Rogers
Miss Mary Clement
Jacob Raggatt, professor of French
(West Park Villas)
Joseph Bowden pianoforte tuner
Mrs. B. Power
Mary Bailey, school for boys, West Park house. Mrs Bailey’s Prreparatory School for Young Gentlemen, West Park Boarding school listed 1861.
West Street, James Street to Whitson Street, St James’
West Street, Bedminster, East Street to Bedminster turnpike
William Hailstone, Hope cottage
Henry Hallett, cork cutter, Zion cottage
Joseph Green, beer seller (Off Licence)
Hester Rennolds, beer seller (Off Licence)
George Smethurst, vict, Lamb Inn 1794. Isaac Williams / 1816 – 28. George Yeates / 1830. Martha Yeates / 1831 – 58. George Yeates / 1863 – 74. George Smethurst 1875 – 89. Edward White / 1891. William Jacobs / 1892. Elizabeth Cleal / 1896. Richard Tooby / 1899. Mrs H. Tooby 1901. John Powlesland / 1904 – 14. Alfred Still / 1917. Charles Marr / 1921 – 38. Howard Bruton / 1944. Thomas Fisher 1950 – 53. John Thomas. (in Mathews’ Directory 1831 George Yeates is also listed as the chief constable of Bedminster).
John Benjamin Dowling, Acacia cottage
Malago and Northside Coal Co. secretary, J . Clark
Philip H. Huxtable, vict, Red Cow bristolslostpubs.eu/page106.html
Daniel Arnold, fellmonger, Hampton house
Jeremiah Buckle, grocer
Thomas Gulifer, corn and flour factor
Reynolds Brothers, varnish and japan manufacturers
Moses Rennolds, colliery surveyor
John Horrell, grocer
William Turle, butcher
Henry Bennett, Rock cottage
Mrs M. Rennolds, Mount Pleasant cottage
Thomas Hampton, Alma house
Charles Edwards, carpenter
James Daunton, vict, Three Horse Shoes 1867 – 77. Edward Tice / 1877. James Daunton / 1878 – 89. Frederick Pillinger / 1891 – 1904. Benjamin Jacobs 1906 – 09. Sarah Jane Mugford / 1914 – 53. Henry Harvey.
Richard Henry Sheppard, vict, Plough & Windmill 1823 – 44. George Tovey / 1847. Hannah Tovey / 1848 – 61. Mark Oatway / 1863 – 67. William Pearce 1868 to 1888. Richard Henry Sheppard / 1889. George Brown / 1891. Tom Nash / 1892. George Hutton / 1894 – 1906. Adam Hutton 1909. Harry Binmore / 1911. Martha York / 1914 – 50. Henry Peters / 1953 – 75. Ernest W. Berry.
George Bishop, draper
Charles Beavan, vict, White Horse the White Horse is still trading. 1775. Dinah Underhill / 1794 – 1839. Ann Smith / 1842 – 58. Thomas W. Smith / 1859 – 78. Charles Bevan / 1879. Justina Barnes 1882 – 85. William Tutton / 1886 to 1887. R. Peter / 1888 – 89. Samuel George Hasell / 1891 – 1901. William York 1904 – 09. Charles Stone / 1914 – 17. Ernest Woodhall / 1921 – 38. Alfred Garland / 1944 – 60. William Garland.
George Augustus Jenkins, grocer & provision dealer
John Brown, grocer
Charles Hill, haulier
Edward Shattock, grocer
Alfred Pillinger, vict, Sportsman’s Arms the Sportsman’s Arms was later named the Black Cat. 1876 – 79. Alfred Pillinger / 1882 – 83. William Williams / 1886. Edward Crandon / 1887. Samuel Hasell / 1888. Charles James Lee 1889 – 92. James Dallimore / 1896. W. Baker / 1899 – 1901. William Davis / 1904. John Millman / 1906 – 09. William Davis 1914. Robert Newton / 1917 – 21. Walter Organ-Munday / 1925 – 31. Charles Plaster / 1935 – 44. Alfred Brookman 1950 – 53. Howard Brookman.
Edwin Morris, builder
Alfred Stiles, relieving officer & inspector of nuisances
West View Terrace, Richmond Road to Lower Richmond Terrace, St Philip’s
1. Joseph May, beer retailer
2. Joseph Sharp, grocer
3. Edwin Trotman, builder
4. George Greenwood
5. Thomas S. Perham carpenter
6. Henry Johnson
7. John Wreford
Hebron Methodist Chapel
Westbourne Grove, Victoria Road to West Street, Bedminster
1. William Davis, vict, Princess of Wales 1871. William Davis / 1872 to 1874. Thomas Short Davis / 1875 to 1877. John Blitz / 1878 to 1885. George Winter 1886 – 1909. James Still / 1914. David Dunn / 1917. Mrs Frances Dunn / 1921. Henry Maidstone / 1925 – 31. Frances Mainstone 1934 – 53. Eunice Louisa Taylor / 1975. B. Grealy. (John Blitz was previously a commercial traveller living at No.4 Westbourne Grove, the Princess of Wales was at No.1)
2. Henry Callen, sailmaker
3. Capt. John Kenward
4. John Blitz, commercial traveller
5. Rev James Stott (Wesleyan)
6. John Morgan
7. John Clabrough
8. John Coles
9. James Dunovan
10. Thomas Shepperd, carpenter
Westbourne Place, Queen’s Road
1. Cyrus Voss Bark, photograher, Stranthearn house
2. John Beattie
3. Mrs J. D. Cuff
4. Mrs Sarah Niblett
5. Robert Hall
6. Capt. John Gardiner, lodging house
7. James Inskip
8. John Williams, lodging house
9. Mrs Isabella Stone, lodging house
10. Ernest Hingstone
11. James Roger Bramble
12. Miss Jane Hurditch, lodging house
13. Edward Burgess Hippisley house
14. Edwin James Manning, lodging house
Westbourne Place, Back Lane, Bedminster
Westbourne Villas, Westbourne Place, Queen’s Road
Westbury Road, Durdham Down
Westbury Villas, Westbury Road
Western Place, Cumberland Basin
James Groves, grocer
William Treadwell, contractor, Cumberland yard
John Thorn, builder and contractor
Evan Millward, vict, Pilot Hotel Western Place (Cumberland Basin) on the water front, next door to the Star Hotel, these two pubs were demolished during the construction of the Cumberland Bridge road system 1963 – 1964. bristolslostpubs.eu/page86.html
Robert Hurn, wine and spirit vaults Star Hotel bristolslostpubs.eu/page90.html
Western Road, Bedminster
Western Square, Cumberland Basin
Williain Tidey, vict, Tenby Packet House 1849 – 61. Thomas Ricketts / 1866 – 69. William Cook / 1871 – 72. William Tidey.
Mrs M. Jones, vict, Prince of Wales 1849 – 51. John Jones / 1851 – 55. Charlotte Barnes / 1857 – 71. Margaret Jones / 1872 to 1891. Margaret E. Farmer 1892. Charles Langford / 1899. William Neall / 1901. Charles Maine.
William Watkins, vict, Pembroke Castle 1858 – 60. J. Bryant / 1861 to 1875. John Pocock / 1876 – 83. Charles Curtis / 1886. G. Griffiths / 1885 – 87. Frederick Stuckey 1889. Alonzo Matthews / 1891 – 1921. Henry Creese.
Westfield Bank Road, 147, Whiteladies Road
Westfield Park, Whiteladies Road to Ashgrove Road
1. John C. Gwynn, Westﬁeld house
2. Thomas Holmes
3. Richard M. Benson, Folkstone villa.
4. George Plum, Verona. house
5. Francis Abbott, Arkendale house
6. Mrs Charlotte Proctor, Fernside villa
7. Wilberforce Tribe, Ladbroke villa
8. Mrs. George F. Davis, Woodgrove house
9. Isaac Brett, drawing master, Park view
10. Clifford Bower, Norwood villa
Edgar E. Salmon, Broomwell lodge
William Hill Budgett, Rosenstein house
24. William Uren, Tuleigh house
24. Charles Branwhite, artist, Bramford house
12. Joseph Almond, Wharncliff house
13. Samuel Clinch
14. Miss Wheeler, ladies’ boarding and day school, Oxford lodge
15. Rev. Richard Morris, The Firs
16. Henry Bennett, Barry lodge
17. Josiah Williams, Heathcote house
18. Mrs Sarah Cridland, Mona house
19. Samuel J. Fear, Limerstone house
20. ?. Doveridge house
21. Miss L. H. Walton
22. Charles F. Thornley
Westfield Place, Zion Hill
1. Henry Harris
2. Mrs Bromham
3. David Cummins, seaman
4. Henry Kayes, upholsterer
Miss Harvey, milliner, etc
5. John G.Vaughan, tailor & naturalist
6. James Harcombe
7. James Alfred Poole
Joseph Spencer, ﬂorist
Westfield Place (Lower), Zion Hill
3. William Cryer
2. John Clarke
1. George Harris
Westley Court, 26, Horsefair
Wetherell Place, behind Meridian Place, Clifton
1. Rev. Frederick Hazeldine, M.A. Meridian villa
2. Archibald C. Ponton
3. Mrs Andrews
4. Misses Jones
5. Rev. William Knight, M.A. Hon. Canon (St. Michael’s)
6. Mrs W. E. Davis
7. James Sanders
Image from page 442 of “Webb’s New England railway and manufacturers’ statistical gazetteer; containing an interesting sketch of every station, village and city on each railroad in New England, together with a statistical, historical and biographical acco
Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Title: Webb’s New England railway and manufacturers’ statistical gazetteer; containing an interesting sketch of every station, village and city on each railroad in New England, together with a statistical, historical and biographical account of their representative manufacturing establishments
Year: 1869 (1860s)
Subjects: New England — Gazetteers New England — Directories
Publisher: Providence, Printed by the Providence Press Company
Contributing Library: The Library of Congress
Digitizing Sponsor: Sloan Foundation
View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
-facturing bleaching and pressing ladies hats of every de-scription. He commenced business Sept. 1st, 1868, and dur-ing the busy season employs upward of 30 hands. He hasin use 3 treadle presses for stamping purposes and facilitiesfor doing work in the best style of the art. T. M. Geeene & Co., manufacturers of every descriptionof brushes, occupy two floors in a 3 story wooden building60x33 feet, located at No. 46 Mill street. This firm com-menced business in 1866, as successors to George F. Greene,who established the business in Attleboro, about 10 yearssince. They employ on an average 8 persons ; consume an-nually about 3,000 tbs. of bristles, and do business amount-ing to ,000. T. M.Greene and John McArthur, Jr.,constitute the company. W. A. Beatet & Co., jewelers findings and jobbingmaterials. Commenced business in 1865. Employ 15persons ; occupy 3d floor in Greenes Mills. Webbs N. E. Railway and Manufacturers Statistical Gazetteer. 431 RICHARD HARRISON & COMPANY, e
Text Appearing After Image:
i ~ ^ M s ij ^ (« 9 I m-A •1 0^ g -^i-.-*^ ^ CR ■ – « , Worstd and Cottoi LOCK BOX 6§. PLEASANT VIEW, PAWTUCKET, R. R. Bliss & Co., croquet, wooden games, hand and bench screw, aud tool handle manufacturers. This firm has beenestablished since 1833, the style remaining the same sincethe commencement, uotwitlistaudiiijr the retirement of Mr.Bliss and others that originally composed it. They occupy^|a new 2 story brick building 120×40 ; employing 33 persons.Their engine, made by J. A. Smith & Co., of tliis place, is40 horse power. They use up about 400,000 feet of lumberper year for the manufacture of their various articles, using15 lathes, 2 planers, 2 boring machines, 1 motising machinewith borer, 7 saws, &c. Richard Harrison & Co. are bleachers and printers ofcotton, woolen and zephyr yarns, &c. They occupy a threestory wooden building 120×20 feet, with ell attaclied 3Gx40feet, 4 stories, located on River street. Pleasant View, hav-ing been engaged in tlie
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.